Monday, February 6, 2012

Where I'm From

I am from the Southern woods, from RC Cola and fried Treet sandwiches.

I am from the house at the end of the old gravel road with the sound of the train passing by on tracks laid long ago and the smell of wood fires still lingering in the air.

I am from the Honeysuckle bush, the wild Greenbriers that are home to all kinds of wildlife.

I am from Sunday morning breakfast and strong Southern values, from Roy Bourne a man as strong as a rock with a heart of gold and Lillian Sears a true Southern Bell and Grand-paw Sears who will be missed through many tears.

I am from your word is your bond and don't bring shame to your family name.

From never give up and let your heart be your guide.

I am from the Ten Commandments and a baptism in the river.

I am from Ronceverte with Dublin calling, from the taste of brown beans and the smell of fresh cornbread.

From the hard working hands of a man who protected this country and gave all to his family, a man I call Dad, a woman who raised four children and never has stopped, this lovely lady has earned the name Mom.

I am from old family photos that hang on the walls for my children to stare at in aw, from stories told on cold winter nights, from laughter and tears of those that are dear, I am "American by birth, but Southern by the grace of God"!!

1 comment:

  1. Outstanding! I bet you didn't there was a poet in you. Looking forward to your digital story!

    ReplyDelete